Pocatello/Chubbuck School District 25
Posted 60+ days ago
POCATELLO-CHUBBUCK SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 25
MEDIA ASSISTANT at Wilcox Elementary School
Purpose of Class
Provides services of a school library; assists students in basic library use and functions; performs related work as required.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to assist in the operation of a school library at the elementary, middle school or high school level, including tutoring students in basic library skills and functions and providing support and assistance to the teaching staff. The position is supervised by the Media Specialist and the building Principal. The principal duties of the position are performed in a library/classroom environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (will vary by assignment)
- Performs library functions including, but not limited to, checking books and materials in and out, assisting students and staff in locating books, print and electronic research materials, checking audio/visual equipment in and out, inventorying
books and related library materials, typing book labels, shelving materials and maintaining the library in a neat and orderly manner;
- Assists in instructing and supervising students in library use, including locating appropriate materials in and beyond the library, research, using electronic databases, internet resources, computer use, and peripheral equipment;
- Follows and implements District library instruction curriculum and follows lesson plans;
- Tutors students in basic library functions and skills, including cataloguing and computer use;
- Imports and exports records from Library of Congress;
- Assists in preparing and implementing lesson plans; Teaches classes to show how the library works;
- Maintains bulletin boards, exhibits, and related displays;
- Maintains inventory of books, magazines, and related library materials;
- Consults with teachers and staff on ordering materials and assists in maintaining required reading and instructional materials;
- Assists in evaluating, selecting, and ordering library materials;
- Inventories and performs minor maintenance and repairs on books, audio/visual equipment, and other library materials;
- Instructs in use of audio/visual and other presentation equipment;
- Collects fines on lost and damaged materials;
- Facilitates accelerated reading programs;
- Assists with book fairs and other designated special events;
- Participates in appropriate training, workshop, and in-service programs;
- Maintains student and District confidentiality.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with District policies, procedures, and safety practices.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs teacher assistant, lunchroom, playground, bus, and other monitoring duties as assigned;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Basic library functions, operations, and objectives;
- Instructional methods, procedures, and objectives, including classroom instruction and presentation, lesson plans, curriculum implementation, educational software, testing and grading, and classroom management;
- Operation of standard office equipment, including a personal computer and required software applications;
- Computer and automated cataloguing, circulation, and search systems;
- Operation and maintenance of specialized library equipment, including audio/visual equipment.
- Follow oral and written instructions and observe District policies and procedures;
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of an elementary school library;
- Operate specialized library computer equipment and programs;
- Implement instructional plans, instruct students, and manage a classroom;
- Operate standard office equipment, including a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, teachers and staff members, and other District personnel;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously, including handling interruptions, and return to and complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Perform time management and scheduling functions, meet deadlines, and set task priorities;
- Perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines;
- Work independently, with minimal supervision, and make appropriate decisions in the absence of a supervisor;
- Demonstrate integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks;
- Maintain District and individual confidentiality.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Associates degree or 32 hours of academic core college semester credits, or Para-Educator State Test Certificate required;
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, communicate effectively in person and on the telephone, and to hear sounds within the normal range of conversation;
- Sufficient visual acuity or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and comprehend, review, and organize a variety of written and text documents and materials;
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment, including a personal computer, and specialized library equipment;
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, strength, and reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to stand or sit for long periods of time, bend and stoop repeatedly, lift and move at least 30 lbs. and maneuver book carts, and work in a library and classroom environment.
- Jobs in this class require performing repetitive hand movement in gripping, fingering and hand/wrist/arm movements. Related job tasks may require, with or without reasonable accommodation, standing, sitting, lifting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, crouching, pushing, grasping, and reaching.
- provide support to instructional programs
- maintain the library and media collections
- identifying appropriate resources for students and teachers utilizing library and media resources
- select appropriate items in support of classroom instruction
- perform clerical functions related to collection, processing, circulation, maintenance, and inventory of library materials and/or books
- maintain and update library displays
- other duties as assigned
Rate of Pay: $11.00 per hour
Position will begin at the start of the 2022-23 school year.